Monday, December 31, 2012

Delhi Gangrape, Death Sentence, etc


With the brutal death of the gangrape victim in Delhi, there has been heightened demand for capital punishment (death sentence) for rapists.  Many of my facebook friends have sent me a Cause.org or Change.org requests to sign their petitions demanding death sentence for the rapists.

I don't sign those petition, simply because I cannot support death sentence.

The arguments of the supporters of capital sentence for rapists are convincing, and I want those rapists to be given the harshest punishment, but not death sentence, I'll not send someone to his/her death.

There are many arguments against capital punishment as an intolerable denial of civil liberties and is inconsistent with the fundamental values of our democratic system, it is a tit-for-tat system, or a violent end to violence, etc.

One simple arguments is, if severe punishment like death sentence can deter crime, then permanent imprisonment is severe enough to deter any rational person from committing a violent crime.

But my argument is: I'm just a human, and I don't deserve to judge who deserve to live and who deserve to die!




No comments: